Real Estate Law

Whether you are buying or selling property, transferring ownership between family members or third parties, borrowing money in the form of a mortgage or construction mortgage from a "big bank" or private lender, Fairley & Scott can provide legal advice, document preparation and registration to close your deal. Often, an in-person appointment is not necessary if you do not live in Golden and attending our office is not feasible.

We are experienced in advising clients on property subdivisions, no matter what stage your Preliminary Layout Approval is at. We can also help with water licences, all sorts of easement, covenant and right-of-way questions, including drafting the terms, corresponding with local government and regulatory agencies including the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, the Columbia Shuswap Regional District, the Interior Health Authority, and the Town of Golden. We can then register your documents with the Land Title Office.

Fairley & Scott's lawyers are experienced at advising on and preparing commercial and residential real estate leases, both for landlords and tenants, options to purchase, rent-to-own-agreements, rights of first refusal, and all other real estate matters.

Court Litigation

Our lawyers practice in all levels of Court in British Columbia - Small Claims, Supreme and Court of Appeal - and can provide advice, preparation and representation in Court. We focus on commercial and corporate litigation. Bruce Fairley also practices Supreme Court family law.

Corporate and Commercial Law

This area of law includes buying and selling a business and incorporating a new business or registering partnerships and sole proprietorships. For existing companies, we advise on annual reporting, obtaining and transferring company shares and other assets, utilizing the Income Tax Act's rules to your company's best advantage, and winding-up of companies and dissolution of partnerships. We can also provide advice and preparation of Shareholder's Agreements, Management Agreements, Partnership Agreements and all other corporate documents necessary for your business.

Personal & Other Matters

Bruce Fairley and Maggie Melnychuk, and our team of experienced legal staff can provide assistance on powers of attorney, representation agreements ("Living Wills"), wills and probate of estates, family law agreements, residential tenancy agreements, and general notorizations.

For notarizations, an appointment is often not necessary. Please contact our office first however, to inquire about our reasonable rates and ensure a lawyer will be able to assist you.